- Cosmopolitan Sexualities: Hope and the Humanist Imagination (Polity Press: 2015 )
- Imaginations: Fifty Year of Essex Sociology (Wivenbooks, 2014)
- Sociology: The Basics ( Routledge, 2010)
- Intimate Citizenship: Personal Decisions and Public Dialogues pp191 (University of Washington Press, 2003).
- Documents of Life-2: An Invitation to a Critical Humanism (2001) (fully revised and much expanded edition of Documents of Life, 1983) pp315. London: Sage
- Documents of Life: An Introduction to the problems and literature of a Humanistic Method, (1983) Allen & Unwin, London, pp. l75.
- Telling Sexual Stories: Power, Intimacy and Social Worlds (1995) pp 244. Routledge: London.
- Sexual Stigma: An Interactionist Account, (1975) Routledge and Kegan Paul, London, l pp. 258
- Five editions of Sociology: A Global Introduction, pp795, with John Macionis (Pearson Education, since 1998
- Two editions of Criminology: A Sociological Introduction (with Carrabine, Cox. Lee and South) (Routledge, 2009).
- Sexualities (2002) 4 Volumes, pp1904, Routledge: London (An edited collection with critical assessments in four volumes with introductions and commentaries).
- The Chicago School (1997) 4 Volumes, pp1024 Routledge : London (An edited collection with critical assessments in four volumes with introductions and commentaries).
- Modern Homosexualities : Fragments of Lesbian and Gay Experience (1992) Routledge: London (An edited collection of original articles with a lengthy introduction by the editor) pp281.
- Symbolic Interactionism: Volume 2 Contemporary Issues (1991) Edward Elgar, Aldershot pp522 (two volumes of selected readings, each volume with an introduction by the author).
- The Making of the Modern Homosexual, (1981) Hutchinson, London, pp. 280. (An edited collection with four contributions from the editor).
Translation of Books:
Sociology: The Basics – in Bha Indonesian (2012), and in Japanese (2013)
Sociologia (Spanish edition of Sociology: translated by Critina Flesher Fominaya and others) Pearson/ Prentice Hall; 3rd ed 2007.
Sociologia (Spanish edition of Sociology: translated by Roberto Garvia, Celia Valiente, Santuiago Perez-Nievas & Laura Morales) Prentice Hall; 1999.
Japanese edition of Telling Sexual Stories (1998), with new ‘Japanese’ introduction.
Japanese edition of Documents of Life (1991) with new preface.
Los Documentos Personales: Introduccion a los problemas y la bibliografia del metodo humanista, (1989) Siglio Veintiuno Editores, Mexico, Spain, Argentina & Colombia, (Spanish translation of Documents of Life).
Greek Edition of Documents of Life published in 2003: Gutenberg